Tuesday, February 12, 2008

4A Fashion Day

This week in my fourth year class we are discussing fashion and clothing, so I gave my students the home assignment to come to school dressed in something that they think should be fashionable. One of my classes just wore regular clothes. The other class went all out. I was quite impressed with them, and I thought I'd share some photos.

In the picture on the right is Andrej . Andrej said wearing winter clothes - hats, gloves, and scarves - inside should become fashionable.

In the next picture is Tatiana, wearing the traditional Slovak garb. She said we need to go back to our roots and wear what our ancesters wore. I asked her later where she got the outfit from, she said she borrowed it from her grandmother. I can't imagine wearing anything my grandfather wears.


Next is Regina. She thought we should dress more like children, so she wore a Princess Jasmin t-shirt.

Next is Ivan, a.k.a. Crocodile Dundee, who said that all students at the Lyceum should wear this outfit so that no one makes fun of anyone else.





And here we have Ada wearing a dress over regular clothes. I'm not quite sure why she was wearing this, but another teacher, Kendra, looked at pictures and liked her outfit, saying she would actually wear that. Strange people.



Last but not least is yours truly. I told my students that in the future, headbands will become more popular, especially with dress clothes. Strangely, I'm wearing a headband as we speak. Notice the beard-tie. That will definitely be a hit in the future.
Anyway, so the purpose of this class was to discuss why certain clothes become popular and whether we actually wear what we like or we really wear what others want us to wear.
You'd think such a discussion would be light-hearted, but, as the tendency is with that class, the discussion grew intense quickly as the class soon began talking about respect and whether people respect others out of love or out of fear and what the difference between those respects are. Those kiddos love having deep conversations. Usually I just sit back and let their minds mature through deep discussions.
The high point in the class occurred when the class began talking about the notorious first-year girl who wears extremely large slippers and tootoos. One girl noted that the more people made fun of her for wearing what she wears, the more brave she becomes. I then warned the class to be careful about something like this because the person who you mock may someday harness that mockery into something which you cannot defeat. That person acts completely out of love, which is inevitably stronger than fear. A person who has no fear can do anything.
Well, that's all for now.

No comments: