Thursday, January 17, 2008

Can You Hear Me?

We were reading Richard Cory by Edwin Arlington Robinson today in one of my classes, and I asked my students who would like to read the poem outloud. No volunteers. Then I asked again. No volunteers. Then I walked to the white board and wrote: "Speaking in class is part of your grade. I recommend you speak at least once per class." I asked again who would like to read the poem. Instantly a hand shot up. Even though I reminded them, not all of them spoke during the class. At least 5 of the 12 did not speak during that class.

This continued throughout the day. I reminded them that speaking is part of their grade, and they still didn't speak much. You would think they would get the hint and want to speak a lot. Apparently not. Perhaps they will try harder when they receive their grades. One can only hope.

I have learned that a teacher has to change tactics nearly every day to try to get new people to speak more and to try to help improve the students' English.

And so it is.


Here's Paul Humburg (our mascot or something like that) hanging out at our Christmas gift exchange:

No comments: