Sunday, March 16, 2008

Good News for People Who Like Good News

So, I imagine you're sitting there reading this blog thinking how much you love read my blogs about living and teaching in Slovakia. Well, guess what? You get the opportunity to read my blog for one more year.

That's right, folks. I have agreed to stay on for another year here in fabulous Bratislava, Slovakia.

"Why are you staying, Dan?" You may ask.

Two reasons: vocation and vacation.

After several months of teaching, I feel that this job is something that I am actually good at. I feel like I connect with my students. At least once a day, I leave class thinking, "Wow, these students actually understood what I was saying." Granted, some classes, I leave thinking, "Wow, did they understand anything I said?" Nevertheless, I look forward each day to the opportunity to turn misunderstanding into understanding.

Staying here, I get the opportunity to live in a city where I can learn about the culture and people here. I have the chance to hear other people's stories. I have learned and grown so much during that the last six months. It makes me wonder where will I be and what will I know in another 12 months.

Now you may be asking yourself: "Dan, it sounds like you want to stay there the rest of your life?"

Certainly I would love to stay here forever, but returning to the States is something I plan to do. I am not only here to teach, but also here to learn. I need to take what I have learned home and share that with others.

Doing a job I love, being with people I enjoy, having the opportunity to meet new people, living in a foreign culture, sounds to me like a vacation. That and I get to have another year of drinking Kofola. (Kofola is soft drink in Slovakia and Czech Republic)

No comments: