Friday, September 7, 2007

European Football

After classes today, the students got together to play their football, soccer. Another professor asked me to join them; naturally, I said yes. Soccer and me don't really get along. I am not used to sports that involve kicking things. I could probably count the number of times I have played soccer. Nevertheless, I enjoyed playing. I even scored a goal, which is probably my first ever. We lost in overtime.

I realized something during that game: I could not think of a single student in any of the four classes I have had so far that I would consider obese. I shared this observation with the other professor playing. He said it is rare to see someone overweight. I was not able to figure out the exact difference between Americans and Slovaks right away. Do Americans eat more? Maybe, but I'm not sure if that's it. Do Americans sit around more? No, I think loafing is something that everyone does. Then I realized it was the amount of walking Slovaks do.

When my students asked me the major difference between America and Slovakia, I said trasportation. Nearly every American household has at least one car, some two, some three. Americans drive everywhere. How often do Americans walk anywhere? Most Slovaks rely on public transportation. The streets aren't that busy. Bratislava does not even have very many stop lights.

I do not believe that walking or taking a bus everywhere is inconvenient; in fact, I find it rather enjoyable. I wonder what the average American would say is more convenient.

1 comment:

Miriam Sybrandy said...

Hi Dan -
Please keep up the good work on your blog. I enjoy reading all about your "adventures", especially the one about your first day of teaching. I think all teachers are apprehensive when they face a class for the first time!