Monday, September 17, 2007

The King of the Castle



Napoleon was lucky I wasn't there to fight him centuries ago because he would have met his match at Devin Castle if I was there. In 1809, after signing a peace treaty in Bratislava, Napoleon made his way to the town of Devin, which is on the Danube. He took the castle and then blew it up.




Yesterday, Larry, Kendra and I made our way to Devin, which is a half hour bus ride from Bratislava. The castle sits about a hill overlooking the Danube. The castle was so cool. We explored what was left of the castle for several hours. The castle has been built and re-built since the Romans controlled the known world. Most of the castle was only ruins, but it was still cool nonetheless.
There aren't enough words to explain how cool the castle was. Kendra and I even got ourselves into a little bit of trouble. We found a way to climb onto of the castle walls and walked above one of the castle gates where I imagine archers stood to shoot approaching armies. It was quite dangerous, but we were safe about it.
I think that before I leave Slovakia, I will have to take the castle by force. Would the government really send troops or the police to try to get me out of the castle? I think I could guard the castle quite well. I will need my own men, bows and arrows, swords, and surfs. Call me King Daniel from now on.

No comments: