Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The First Day

Monday (Pondelok) was our first day of school. It was a short day, however. The school year begins with a church service at the big Lutheran church. The service was in Slovak. There was a bulletin for us to follow along with, but that too was in Slovak. I attempted to sing some of the songs, but it was rather difficult.

After the service, everyone went to the school, and the students met with their class teachers. At the Lyceum, students stay with the same 36 students their entire high school career. So any class they have, they have with those students. Each grade has two classes. In the English classes, they are split into three groups. The class teacher is the person who guides that class their five years in school.

I didn't have any classes Monday, but Tuesday I had two classes. I had my 3rd years. In 3rd year, they learn American literature. In 4th year, they learn British literature. This was my first experience teaching. I was a little nervous before class, but that went away a little bit into class. Some of the students looked a little scared because I told them that they could not speak Slovak in my classroom and they would lose points from their next test if they did. I would be scared, too.

I had my first sweet lunch yesterday. Lunch, which is called "obed," was sweet rolls and soup. It wasn't as bad as people made it seem. I almost liked it.

Well, I don't have any classes today, but tomorrow I have four classes. Today I am just preparing and planning for my classes. We will go to the normal class schedule next week.

The weather is still cold here. It is 46 degrees now. I can't believe it.

2 comments:

cheryl j. said...

The good thing about Slovak hymns is that they are sung very slowly so you will have time to figure out how to pronounce the words and still be able to keep up:-) My first trip there a babka in a babushka shared her hymnal with me!

Sarah (Sybrandy) Genovese said...

Hi Dan,
My mom shared this blog with me from church. Sounds like all is going well and I look forward to hearing about all your adventures in teaching. Stay positive and know that you have a whole church family supporting you back home.