Wednesday, November 7, 2007

English Problems



I find it necessary to share a few pictures and thoughts that I forgot to share in my Prague blog. While on the train, I kept hearing the automated message about to where the train was going when passangers boarded. After saying something in Slovak, it always said in English, "This train terminated in Prague." I remarked to my Slovak friends that it sounds like the train is going to blow up when we get there.




In Prague, I took a few pictures worth sharing. I don't remember where I took the first one, but you can probably see the spelling problem yourself.




The second one is my favorite. My Slovak friends wanted to have fast food for lunch. So where did they go? KFC. That's right, Kentucky Fried Chicken. They asked why I didn't want to have Kentucky Fried Chicken, and I told them that I hadn't had KFC in probably 6 years and could probably wait another year to have KFC. Anyway, this is a picture above the trash can in KFC. As I was about to take the picture, an employee was about to take out the trash and he saw me with my camera pointing it at the trash. I have to wonder what he must have thought. Did he understand why I found the sign funny? Anyway, he backed off and then I put my camera down and waited for him to take out the trash. Oh, the dangers of translations. They meant to say, "Don't Put Trays in the Trash," but, by saying, "Don't Put Trays," one must wonder where not to put trays and what to do with the trays if one isn't supposed to put them anywhere.
That is all.

No comments: