Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Prague






So I understand that I have neglected to keep up with my blogging, so I will be posting over the next few days of a recap of the last few weeks going backwards. So we will start in Prague.






Last week we had Fall Break and I speak two days in Prague with some Slovaks. It was quite an interesting trips. I went with this guy Ondrej who works at the school and his friend Matej. We met a few Slovaks there and they were nice, but they spent Slovak a lot, so it was pretty hard understanding them.






Prague is a very pretty city and a pretty busy city. My favorite part of the city was probably Charles Street Bridge. The fascinating thing about the bridge was the statues. Every five yards on either side was a different statue of a famous Christian. I had a hard time telling who any of the statues were, but I know the one in the picture on the right was Jesus. It took me a while to figure that one out.






Another fun part of the city was the church on the hill by the castle. I could have spent hours in this church walking around, looking at different paintings and statues. Here was my favorite one.




Another cool site in Prague is the ancient clock on one of the churches. At the beginning of each hour, these small doors open up and these little statues of saints rotate. This draws a crowd of probably a few hundred. The first time we tried to see it, we were too late. The second time, we couldn't see the statues. The third time was a success though. Here is a picture of the clock.


Czech food is delicious. I had the national meal for lunch one day. I had had it before, but this time it was particularly good. The meal is some kind of meat, some interesting sauce, and dumplings that look like pieces of bread. Delicious.
Prague is a four hour train ride from Bratislava. I left at 5:30 a.m. Thursday and returned 10:30 p.m. Friday. Next, I will write of my trip to Trechin.

No comments: