Saturday, April 26, 2008

Bratislava for Everyone

This weekend is public-free weekend. Museums, buses, and the zoo is all free for everyone.

I spent Saturday walking around the Bratislava Zoo. The zoo is rather pathetic. The animals aren't cared for very well. The cages are small and uninteresting. I felt bad for the monkeys, my favorite animals to watch, because they had few fun things to play with. They could run up a little branch and back down and then go into their little man-made cave, but that was it. I suppose I enjoy monkeys and apes so much because they remind me of me. One of the monkeys was even eating the kind of green apples that I like to eat. Cool monkeys.

One of the highlights of the afternoon was watching a little kid poop in a portable potty trainer in the middle of a crowd. We were watching some people dance a Folk dance and in the middle of the crowd, these parents pull out a plastic bag and a little toilet seat. I couldn't believe it. In the middle of a hundred people. Who does that? The parents could have easily taken their kid off the path a little for the kid to do his business. It is a regular thing here to see a kid peeing on a tree next to the sidewalk. Absolutely crazy.

That's all for now.

No comments: