Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Positive Points of Prague Day One

Thursday and Friday last week, my parents and I traveled to Prague. This is the happy Prague blog.

I took Thursday and Friday off from school, so we left Thursday morning on a four-hour train ride to the Czech Republic. We arrived around noon and we found our hostel. Though the hostel was a little off the beaten path, it was probably the best place I've stayed at. We had two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a kitchen for a very affordable price. The people at the hostel were very helpful in finding places as well.


After putting our bags down, I called my friend Michael who goes to school in Prague and we went out to lunch. Michael recommended that I try the beef tartar, a meal that consists of raw meat. Though it does not sound appealing, I was rather pleased with the meal. It tasted like Wendy's, something I haven't had too long of a time.


After lunch, we went looking for Bethlehem Chapel, where Jan Hus preached. We found the chapel but it was closed for the day. We saw it the next day. The church was quite simple - no fancy altars or sculptures. However, it had a nice history of Jan Hus, though it deglected to say what Hus actually preached that got him burned at the stake.

Because it was after five, when nearly everything closes, we made our way to Wenceslas Square, the biggest square in Prague where protests during the Prague Spring of 1968 and the overthrow of Communism took place. We saw the place where a Charles University student burned himself in 1968 protesting against the Communist regime.

Stay tuned for Day Two and the much awaited Metro Mess.

No comments: