Monday, April 7, 2008

A Trip to Vienna


After church Sunday, my parents and I took a train to Vienna, Austria. They hadn't been on a train since they were children.







We arrived in the early afternoon in beautiful Vienna and made our way to the Belvedere. We did not go inside the musuems, but we walked around the gardens and admired the beauty of the statues. The Belvedere was some prince's summer home. My response was, "I wish I had a regular home half that nice."


St. Stephensdom, the biggest church in Vienna. My dad's amazement of the size of the church was surpassed only by his amazement of the beauty of the inside.

After seeing a dozen churches this big, I began to notice small details about the church. The thing that caught my eye was two flat screen televisions. I wondered, "What are flat screen TVs doing in a 14th century church?" They seem so out of place. I understand that some people cannot see the priest from where they are sitting because a column blocks their view; however, flat screens? Seriously.



After Stephensdom, we walked to Karlskirche, Karl's Church. Though this church was smaller, it captivated our interest more. Not only were there fewer people in the church, but also we could get closer to everything, even take the lift to the church's tower overlooking the city. The lift and walk up to the top of the tower scared my mother half to death. We could hardly get her up the stairs. Every creak she heard, she thought the stairs were going to collapse.


The church featured a museum with relics from years past. My dad found a few things he would like for his anniversary present from the church. I believe this picture will be the best way to show what he would like. The hat and red shoes are absolutely necessary. My dad needs some "gear" as some of my friends might say.
That's all for Vienna. More to come later.

No comments: