Friday, August 31, 2007

A Cold August

Greetings again from Bratislava, now chilly and windy Bratislava. The temperature this week has been hovering around 60. That's right, 60 in August.

We have today, Saturday, and Sunday off, but I have many more hours of lesson planning and syllabusing to do. This morning, I went to the police station with a few people to begin the process of getting our visas. We got there at 7:45, we left at 11:30. It was a rough morning. Sitting around for a few hours is very draining.

The frustration of the language is beginning to catch up to me. It is very frustrating not being able to understand what people are saying. I am trying my best to learn the language (maybe not my best, but I'm trying), but I guess it's not something I'll learn in a few days.

There are many things happening this weekend in Bratislava. The city is celebrating the re-enactment of the king going through the city. There will be many activities at the castle tomorrow. It's a cool castle and a six minute walk from my flat.

Well, I suppose that is all that is new from me. School officially starts Monday. I'm excited and unprepared.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Wow! That's crazy it's so cold. It has finally cooled down a little bit here. :)

Good luck on your first day of school.

Let me know anything that you want me to send you. I'd be happy to send a little care package because you are my favorite little bro ever!

Wayne K said...

Hey Dan!

I remember having a professor from Africa, by the time my class was over, my head hurt from trying to pay attention. I am guessing the feeling is the same for you only multiplied immensely.

You will do great, I am sure!

David said...

I think when you come back you should write a book just about the funny things your students said (and the way they said them).