Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Breakfast of Champions

At Michi-Lu-Ca this summer, I experience Yedsnedew, a Wednesday backwards. When we woke up we had dinner. It was spaghetti and garlic bread. It was quite an experience. Today, which is also Wednesday, I woke up, went to breakfast, and found 3 hot dogs sitting on my plate. Yes, that's right hot dogs for breakfast. The thing was though that there wasn't any buns for the hot dogs. I was polite and at least ate one.


During one of our sessions today, David, one of the pastors at the English speaking Lutheran church, said that sometimes for lunch at the school the cafeteria will only provide soup and three or four jelly-filled donuts. Yup, donuts for lunch.


Besides strange meals, everything has been going very well. The language is hard to learn, but I am able to buy a few things when I am out. Last night we got to go out into the city for the first time and experience the night life. We learned a little bit about the rich history of Bratislava, which includes Napoleon firing a cannonball into one of the buildings which still stands.
Tonight we get to learn about the ELCA Global Missions policies, which includes absolutely no ransoms if someone is kidnapped. Reassuring, I know.
As promised, I took a picture of the city from my temporary room at the seminary. I hope to have some more pictures up soon.

No comments: