Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Address

For all those who we patiently waiting for my address, here it is:

Daniel Lichtenberger
Evanjelicke Lyceum
Vranovska 2
85102 Bratislava
Slovakia

That is my address for the Lyceum (it's pronounced "leets-eum). I don't know the address to my apartment, but the address at the Lyceum is fine as I will be there 5 days a week.

Today I got a European bank card. Apparently workplaces don't give out paychecks. They only use direct deposit. I also got a bus pass today.

Yesterday was my first day at school. We had a few meetings, which were in Slovak, and worked on syllabi.

Tomorrow is a national holiday to celebrate the beginning of the uprising against the Nazis. I am not too familiar with Slovak history, but from what I have heard, even though the people were against supporting Nazi Germany, Slovakia was their ally during most of WWII. However, in August 1944, in Central Slovakia, 80,000 Slovaks defied the German army to begin the uprising. Most history says that Russian freed Slovakia. However, I have read that the Soviets would not have gotten as far into Europe as they did without this uprising.

One of the most interesting things about being in Slovakia has been listening to their history. One person I met shared with me that historical events in Slovakia are not simply, "This was done right," and "This was done wrong." Instead, people debate what was right and wrong. I suppose I do not fully understand these debates, but it is interesting listening to people question history.

No comments: